The arrival of the New Year means it's time for a fresh start for your business. As 2018 begins, you want to be sure that you're taking advantage of as many new business opportunities as possible. This year, try some of these creative strategies for identifying new business opportunities and watch how they can transform your business.
1. Narrow your focus. Typically, when you talk about expanding your business opportunities, you think about widening the scope of your reach. A highly-qualified prospect, however, is worth more than a dozen prospects who are only vaguely interested in something that your business might offer! Instead of widening your reach this year, consider narrowing your focus. This might include:
Discarding social media platforms that aren't working for your business so that you can focus on the ones that work best for you.
Letting go of leads that haven't worked out for your business in favor of reaching out to those who are more likely to be genuinely interested in your products.
Redefining your buyer personas in a more narrow scope so that your ads can reach those who are genuinely interested in your products or services more effectively.
2. Perfect your elevator pitch. If someone were to ask you in an elevator what your business does and you knew you only had until the doors opened on their floor to snag them, what would you tell them? Your "elevator pitch" should be short, sweet, and simple--and so should your business's focus. If you have to drag on for hours to tell someone about your business or to let customers know about a new product, chances are, they're going to lose interest before they ever learn what you're actually offering. Instead, perfect your short descriptions so that when new business opportunities come your way, you're able to take full advantage. From social media and emails to in-person marketing, you'll find that it's easier to generate more business when customers don't have to wade through huge volumes of words to find the heart of your company.
3. Find a charity that reflects the values of your business. What is it that you stand behind and support? How can your business support a local charity? Not only does partnering with a local charity allow you to get your name out to local clients, it encourages people who are genuinely interested in the charity to support your business. As a bonus, don't just donate money. Instead, donate company hours to help show your investment and commitment by encouraging employees to volunteer on the clock.
4. Generate unique content. What is it that sets your business apart from the crowd? How can you connect more effectively with your target audience? Consider publishing a humorous blog, comic strip, or other publication that people genuinely look forward to reading. Create videos that customers come back to watch more than once. When your content is genuinely interesting, people are more likely to enjoy it, share it, and remember your business as a result of your efforts.
5. Build bigger fans. Once you have a customer who genuinely loves your business, turn them into more than just a fan. Make them a brand ambassador who is eager to share information about your business with others. From creating "swag" merchandise that super fans are eager to own to designing promotions for those who are the most connected with your business, taking the steps to encourage fans is one of the best ways to build your network and grow your business. Those big fans are the ones who are most likely to recommend you to everyone they know.
6. Connect with lost leads. In some cases, those clients that you missed out on a couple of months ago may be the perfect new addition to your client base. Take the time to reach out to clients who selected another company for their needs, especially those who left your business late in the buyer's journey. You may be surprised by what you can offer them as they continue their project or make other purchases in your industry.
Building your business is an ongoing process, but it's one that's well worth the effort you'll put in. To receive exclusive updates and to learn more about how we can help your business generate new leads in 2018 and beyond, sign up here.